Are You Acidic or Akaline?
Acidity in our bodies is on the rise as from all the current stressors that include environmental stressors, such as pesticide riddled crops, sugary drinks and electromagnetic energy that have become part of everyday life. Poor diets lead to unhealthy bodies; and once our bodies become unhealthy, a host of disease follows and leads us down a path full of pain and discomfort. If you learn to alkalize, change destructive habits, and make smart choices, you may just avoid the downfall.
I have suffered from too much acidity since I was a teenager; which caused me to gain a tremendous amount of weight because an acid pH begets acid and causes cravings for sugars, fats, protein and salt. By learning how to regulate my body’s pH with some simple steps, I was able to radically shift the quality of my life and get my weight under control. The more I learn about natural medicine, the more I’m amazed by how much all the different systems of our body are effected by what we put in (food, drink, medicine) and put out (exercise, deep breathing, and meditation).
My best friend who suffers from inflammation in her neck and shoulders recently realized she could control her bursitis symptoms by changing her diet and exercise routine. And there are reports that illustrate how diseases, such as MS, affect the nervous system and how diet can help alleviate symptoms.
All of this, in so many ways, comes down to making sure your body is alkalized. Fish cannot live in aquarium water that is too acidic. Your body is much like an aquarium and where your 75 Trillion cells live and I refer to as your “internal eco aquarium”. Your body struggles to maintain a tight blood pH required for survival, the ideal pH is about 7.4 (exact range is 7.35 to 7.45). Most diseases cannot live in an alkaline environment.
Did you know that there are foods that cause acidity and inflammation?
Inflammation is the number one culprit behind diseases. It’s actually a way our body protects us from infection from foreign organisms, such as bacteria and viruses.
But in this toxic chemical world of fake foods and poisons, can sometimes trigger an inflammatory response even when there aren’t any foreign invaders to fight off. Meaning you exist in permanent state of swelling. Left untreated, you can develop i.e. autoimmune diseases, cancer, heart disease, respiratory disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes and nephritis. Which is what occurs when the body’s normally protective immune system causes damage to its own tissues and causes cells to mutate.
Some threats to our health are obvious, but sometimes the worst threats move slowly and silently. That’s the case with chronic low-level silent inflammation. Its quiet nature fails to alert of its destructive power and how chronic inflammation in your body can do serious damage.
The foods we choose to eat—or not to eat affect inflammation. For instance, eating fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and omega-3 fatty acids foods found in Mediterranean diet have anti-inflammatory properties.
Here are eight foods to avoid to keep inflammation and illness away.
- Trans Fats
- White Bread
- Omega-6 Fatty Acids (nuts, seeds, eggs, and vegetable oils) should be reduced
What foods are most alkaline you ask? Dark green leafy vegetables are the most alkaline. The Alkaline pyramid chart below illustrates alkaline foods you should consider:
You can measure the level of acidity in almost anything – water, soil, animals, plants, and people by measuring its pH. The pH measures the concentration of the hydrogen ion in the body and works with a scale that goes from 1 to 14. A pH below seven is considered acidic, a pH of seven is neutral, and anything above is considered basic or alkaline.
You can test your body’s pH by doing a urine test or saliva test (using a pH test strip available in most health food stores or online). However, you should be aware that dehydration, infections, bacterial overgrowth, and other issues can affect your pH test. It’s safe to assume your body is too acidic if you are suffering from a chronic disease or symptoms such as:
- Salt cravings
- Rapid, shallow breath/ difficulty holding breath
- Frequent urination
- Swelling and bloating
- Poor brain function/ brain fog
- Poor sleep
Let’s Get Alkaline!
Ideally a person should only have 20 percent acidic foods (e.g. meat, dairy products, refined carbohydrates [including sugar], coffee and alcohol). The other 80 percent of your diet should be filled with alkaline or neutral foods. Here are some tips to getting rid of toxic acids and alkalize your body.
- Alkaline Water
- Greens and Sprouts: Make sure you eat a lot of leafy greens and sprouts, which will help alkalize. You can have them in salads or blend them up and take them as a juice
- Lemon juice and Water: This is one of my favorite ways to alkalize, although lemons are acidic on their own, when they go into the body, they metabolize and become alkaline. Mix juice of half a lemon in a cup of water and drink it first thing in the morning. It’s easy, helps hydrate the liver and shift your body into an alkaline state and you can feel the effects right away.
- “Green” drinks and “Green” foods: Foods that contain a high level of chlorophyll, such as spirulina, chlorella, barley grass juice and other sprouted grains are all extremely alkalizing. When your body is struggling to balance its pH on its own it often sacrifices calcium in the process. Therefore, taking such chlorophyll-rich foods promotes increased bone mass.
- Coconuts: are extremely alkalizing and they have been considered to be a miracle food for their many other benefits as well. You can enjoy a hydrating coconut juice, cook with coconut oil or coconut milk, or eat fresh coconut meat. Coconuts are a great source of energy, improve digestion, bowel functions, and food assimilation, support tissue repair, dissolve kidney stones, promote weight loss, boost your immune system and stamina, and do much more.
- Reduce Your Stress Levels:Stress messes with your body in intense ways. When you’re stressed out, the digestive system shuts down and toxic acids don’t get naturally eliminated. When there is a buildup of toxins in the body, your body stores these acids in your fat cells. So make sure you add yoga, meditation, deep breathing, thai chi, and any other stress-relieving activities to your daily routine.
- Exercise: Exercise gets the acidic waste by-products that get stored in your body tissues circulated, so you can better eliminate them. Make sure to get in several work-outs a week, or better yet, try to live a more active lifestyle that incorporates exercise in a natural way (i.e. walk or bike to work, take the stairs instead of the elevator). You get the picture 🙂
- Macro Greens® & Miracle Reds® are alkaline sources that provide bio-available vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and herbal blends that support liver, kidneys, adrenal system plus 18 Billion Probiotics to boost your immune system. This will make sure your body is set with reserves and will also offset any nutritional gaps. Drink a delicious glass daily Be Well –
Sylvia Ortiz, is known as the Mother of SuperFoods, educator, and writer, passionate about preserving the natural beauty and wonder of our bodies, this planet, and the world. She is the founder of MacroLife Naturals, a superfood nutritional company committed to serving the health and wellness industry.